Friday, June 5, 2009

a brief rant about The 2009 MTV Movie Awards...

I don't give a hoot about MTV.  I don't watch The Hills or any of their other "programming," for I feel it will suck the intelligence right out of me.  However, once a year, I tune in to watch The MTV Movie Awards for one reason: to bash what everyone is wearing.

Because I'm a nice person, (stop snickering, Stacey!) I'm not going to bash any individuals.  I'm just going to make a point: for those of us who lived through the 80's, what these "celebrities" were wearing wasn't new, fresh, or even remotely interesting.  Most of it looked like the crap that we pretend we didn't wear in Junior High.

Bubble dresses? Prom 1988.  One-shoulder dresses covered in sequins? Dynasty. Ruffles, mesh and neon all worn together?  Madonna: The Early Years.  

I guess what I find most disturbing is that no one is telling these hot young things that they aren't "pushing the envelop" or wearing something "daring."  They're just working with stylists that are too busy pitching reality tv shows to dress their clients in something truly indicative of the times.  I saw nothing "inspired" by the 80's.  I just saw tacky shit: too literal, too cheap looking, too much.  Except for Miley Cyrus, who looked 45. (sorry, I tried)

I look to celebrities all of the time to influence my style, after all, they have access to the freshest, newest, most fabulous swag available.  I can only say that I was, overall, uninspired by what Young Hollywood put up. C'mon, people! Dazzle me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me