Sunday, February 8, 2009

WHAT WAS SHE THINKING?

I quit my job today.

I know this sounds crazy, but last week, I realized that I haven't been happy in over a year.  I have an incredible family, I love my friends and I live in one of the most amazing cities in the world, but I absolutely HATE my job.

I know we're in a recession.  I also know that good jobs are few and far between, but does that mean that I should submit and accept a life of misery just to earn a paycheck?  Let me tell you this...I don't make enough money to be miserable.  I don't think anyone does, so I'm leaving this life behind.

I don't have a great plan, but as always, I do have one.  My plan looks something like this:  work crappy 9-5 Monday thru Friday job, decide if I want to go to Grad School, organize closets for extra cash. It might not be the smartest plan, but it sure as hell beats waking up in tears.  It also beats crying myself to sleep and throwing up everything I eat.

I'm trying to be rational, Dad.  I know irrationality makes you irrational, ironic as that may be.

I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't secretly hoping that someone important would read this blog, find my humor, wit and honesty surprisingly refreshing and set out to publish my memoir, so I'll try not to disappoint.  I'll start this thing off right...

SUCK IT, RETAIL! KISS MY ASS, EVERY BOSS WHO FAILED TO LIVE UP TO YOUR JOB EXPECTATION WHILE AT THE SAME TIME CRITICIZING MY PERFORMANCE! PISS OFF TO EVERYONE WHO CHOOSES TO PLAY THE GAME INSTEAD OF DOING YOUR JOB!  FYI, CORPORATE AMERICA, YOU'RE WASTING MILLIONS OF DOLLARS PAYING USELESS IDIOTS TO TELL YOU HOW TO BETTER YOUR BUSINESSES WHEN REALLY, YOU SHOULD BE INVESTING IN THE TALENT THAT YOU ALREADY EMPLOY!  NOW HEAR THIS: LISTENING IS THE KEY TO GETTING THE BEST OUT OF PEOPLE!  IF ANYONE HAD BOTHERED, IN SEVEN YEARS AND FOUR JOBS, TO LISTEN TO WHAT I WANTED IN MY CAREER, ATTEMPTED TO DEVELOP MY TALENTS OR TAKEN ANY INTEREST AT ALL IN HEARING WHAT I HAD TO SAY INSTEAD OF TRYING TO DECIDE MY PATH FOR ME BASED ON SOME SILLY "SKILLS MATRIX," (THAT UNDOUBTEDLY COST THESE COMPANIES MILLIONS) WE WOULDN'T BE HERE TODAY.

So, in the words of The Shins, "Give me your hand and let's jump out the window!"

1 comment:

  1. Dad's going to have a field day with those expletives, sweetheart. Seriously, congrats. So proud of you for giving them the boot. Your future looks all the brighter for it.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me